Sunday, July 17, 2011

harry potter haiku #7

Faithful readers will recall that I enthusiastically started a series of haiku honoring Harry Potter which I abandoned with a decided lack of enthusiasm when life got to be so life-ish.  I left off when I was still using Sorcerer's Stone as my inspiration, so that's where we are again.

Loose lips sink ships and
Hagrid's always flapping his.
Dude can't keep secrets.

After one tongue-slip,
the gang searches for Flamel
Library fails them.

Let me interrupt the poetry to mention that although Hermione's all a magical genius and stuff, she clearly lacks good research skills.  And I don't just mean the Flamel debacle in book 1.  As my blogging brother pointed out a while back: How in the world could she not have found out about either gillyweed or the bubblehead charm  as underwater breathing options in Goblet?  Are we to believe that the book the fake Moody gave Neville was the only book that mentions gillyweed?  And in Order the bubblehead charm is so well-known and easy to perform that students use it to avoid dungbombs in the corridors, so are we really to expect that it's not in any of the spell books that she reads trying to help Harry?  I love Hermione, but maybe they should have been nicer to Madame Pince.  I guarantee she could have steered them in the right direction.  Librarians are good people.  

Hagrid blabs again
selling out Dumbledore for
an illegal egg.

A baby dragon
that's born in a wooden house
nothing but trouble

Four in a row!  You're on the edge of your seat now, aren't you?  But I'll save the rest for another time.

*****Plagiarizing blogger's note:  I've updated the Hermione as a researcher rant to give proper credit to Shane for his inspiration.  I couldn't handle the pressure of you people thinking that I was smart enough to have figured that out.*****

8 comments:

  1. I mentioned Hermione's inability to find the bubblehead charm in my classic post At the Close. This was a tough post for Hagrid. I hope you show him some love next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new color scheme
    A mix of peach and orange
    Nicely frames haikus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, now I'm embarrassed. Of course, it was Shane's blog where I read that about Hermione and the bubblehead charm. Sorry for stealing your topic, bro. Can we still be friends?

    I love Hagrid, but you have to admit, he does cause a lot of problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you believe that I've never read ANY of the Harry Potter books? Maybe I'll learn a little bit from your haiku!

    I came by to say hello, and thank you for visiting my blog. Good luck on the giveaway:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katelyn started reading this post, turned to me and said, "Hey, I know what she's talking about!" And of course she did because she had just finished Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. She started it yesterday after church and finished it this morning. And she is in love. She has already packed her bag for Hogwarts and has instructed Rachel on packing hers. They played for a while until Rachel realized that Katelyn was giving too much of the story away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For Michelle:
    First: What is Katelyn doing up and reading this post at midnight (or 1 am your time)?

    Second: Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal! She's read it. Make her email me tomorrow.

    Third: Have you read 7 yet?

    Fourth: When are you gonna let Rach read them? I don't think she'll survive if she has to wait until she's 11.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First: She made this comment to me about 11am Monday my time. I just relayed the message to you at 1am Tuesday. She was in bed a few minutes after 9pm our time. Just after we finished A Horse and His Boy!!

    Second: She read it and loved it. I'll try to have her email you.

    Third: I have not. I've re-read one and two. I'm going through them again so I can remember and reading them with the girlies in mind so I know who will be able to handle what when.

    Fourth: The plan was never to make her wait until 11. Fair here is not the same for everybody, but what is right for each person or the family as a whole. Since Katelyn wants to play it and talk it constantly, Rachel may start it tomorrow with my help. After she/we read it, I will let them watch the movie. When I see how they do with all of that, we will see how far we go. The homeschool mommy in me wants them to make trading card type things for the characters. Maybe it will help me keep everyone straight! heehee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ummm . . . Nerd alert: I want to make trading-card type things.

    ReplyDelete

what do you think?